Teeth Whitening Near You
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular procedures in cosmetic dentistry. Teeth whitening brightens the teeth and removes stains and discoloration, improving the appearance of a patient’s smile.
Why Whiten Your Teeth?
The colour of a patient’s teeth is dependent on their genes which impacts the thickness and smoothness of the enamel. Having smoother enamel affects the reflection of light causing the teeth to appear whiter. In contrast, having thinner enamel allows the colour of the dentin under the enamel to become much more visible. In addition, the tooth enamel contains pores which trap stains and alters the appearance of the teeth.
The following lifestyle factors can cause the teeth to appear dull or yellow:
- Tobacco use
- Drinking liquids that are dark in colour (coffee, pop and red wine)
- Lack of oral care and hygiene
During the aging process, the enamel can become thinner and the dentin can become darker, and as a result, the teeth appear less bright.
In some cases, patients who have been overexposed to fluoride as a child may have intrinsic stains which are stains inside the teeth. Tooth trauma can also cause the teeth to become darker.
Types of Teeth Whitening
Over-the-counter whitening methods are the least expensive, these include:
- Whitening Toothpaste: These products are mildly abrasive and may lighten the teeth by one or more shades. However, whitening toothpaste cannot bleach the teeth.
- Whitening Gel: These products can be as effective as teeth whitening strips. The type of gel and the strength of the whitening agent used will determine a patient’s results.
- Whitening Rinses: Whitening rinses contain minimal amounts of peroxide, however, they may not be very effective as they only come into contact with the teeth for a maximum of 60 seconds.
- Pre-made Whitening Trays: Over-the-counter whitening trays come in one size and usually do not properly fit the teeth.
- Whitening Strips: Teeth whitening strips consist of thin pieces of plastic that are covered with peroxide. Whitening strips are placed on the front of the teeth and are worn for 30 minutes each day for two weeks. Generally, the results will last up to 4 months.
A dentist in Prince Albert, S6V 0C7 can provide patients with In-office teeth whitening services that are highly effective. These methods offer long-lasting results which can range from 6 to 12 months. The whitening gels used by dentists contain a higher concentration of peroxide. During the whitening procedure, the bonds between stained molecules are broken apart, revealing a whiter smile.
Laser whitening methods are performed by many dentists in Prince Albert, S6V 0C7. During these procedures, a high-powered light is used to activate the whitening gel which allows the oxygen to penetrate the teeth rigorously.
In order for patients to maintain their results, they will require continued treatments.